Although the idea of a white Christmas is determined by your geographical location, you can still spread a bit of eco-friendly green cheer to the children in your life. Toys can come in a variety of styles whether you’re looking for something biodegradable or more geared towards inspiring young minds about renewable energy. What kinds of entertaining and eco-friendly products are worth looking at for Christmas?
1. The Green Dollhouse – When it comes to greener living, nothing is more of a testament than the Green Dollhouse developed by Plan Toys. The entire house is made with non-toxic and organic materials such as organic rubber wood that are not only eco-friendly, but can withstand a great deal of play.
2. Victorian Style Dollhouse – If the smaller version wasn’t comfortable enough for your little one, then perhaps a three-story dollhouse made from recycled rubber wood can keep your child occupied. The house stands over 25-inches tall and provides an incredible amount of space for the doll lover in your home.
3. Tea Set – Made from recycled milk bottles, this tea set has been approved as safe for children to use with actual food products turning an imaginary tea party into reality. It is dishwasher safe and includes everything you need for a tea party of your own.
4. Royal Kingdom Playset – Your kids will marvel at developing their own kingdom made from safe wooden structures. This kit can be modified a number of ways to include working catapults and wooden dragons.
5. Transforming Solar Vehicles – This seven-in-one kit provides your kids the ability to play until the battery dies, only to charge it again with solar energy. The fun can literally last forever.
6. Solar Deluxe Educational Kit – This kit will teach your kids everything they need to know about harnessing the power of the sun. As there is no
soldering required, this kit is completely safe for kids eight and up.
7. Advanced Wind Experiment Kit – Allow your children to delve into the power that can be generated by wind. This kit will demonstrate how wind turbines can create energy to power various devices. This product is great for grade seven through 12 and is loaded with fun projects.
8. Hydrogen Powered Solar Race Car – When it comes to experimenting with hydrogen fuel cells, this kit puts everything into perspective while driving the imagination. This remote controlled vehicle only requires water as the solar panel performs the various functions needed for continuous play.
9. Earth Blocks – If you like the imagination and creativity that spawns from Legos, then you’ll love Earth Blocks. They are made with recycled materials including cedar, coffee beans and green tea plants.
10. EnviroBLOX Building Set – Made in the USA using cornstarch, EnviroBLOX are another alternative to Legos that can engage the imagination while holding true to eco-friendliness. Once the “blocks” are moistened, they simply stick together allowing your child to build anything he or she wants.
You don’t need to subscribe to general commercialism in order to give a gift that can inspire young minds and help mold the future of a child. Instead of a gift that promotes laziness glued to a television screen, why not give them something that can engage their minds about the world they live in?
Rachel is an ex-babysitting pro as well as a professional writer and blogger. She is a graduate from Iowa State University and currently writes for www.babysitting.net. She welcomes questions/comments which can be sent to rachelthomas.author @ gmail.com.