12 Ways That You Can Prevent Litter
There are many ways that you can help make your community cleaner. Here are 10 suggestions:
1. Set an example by not littering.
2. Pick up one piece of litter every day.
3. Every week, pick up all the litter in front of your house, including the street
4. Ask your neighbors to properly dispose of their trash. Show them the difference between a clean area and an area spoiled by litter, and stress why it’s important to put trash in proper containers.
5. Make sure that your trash cans have lids that can be securely attached. If you have curbside trash service, don’t put out unopened containers or boxes filled with trash.
6. Carry a litter bag in your car. Ask local businesses to buy car litter bags and distribute them to customers. Encourage them to print their names and an environmental message on the bag.
7. Ask your neighbors and or friends to join you in cleaning up one public area where litter has accumulated.
8. If you or a member of your family is involved in a civic group, scouting, or recreational sports program, encourage the group to become involved in a cleanup.. Or have the group “adopt” a spot and maintained it on a regular basis.
9. Find out how you can plant and maintain flowers along a curb or sidewalk. People litter less where areas have been beautified.
10. Ask business owners to check their dumpsters every day to make sure tops and side doors are closed. If the business has a loading dock, ask them to keep it clean, and to put out a receptacle for employees to use.
11. Ask business owners to provide trash cans in front of their business with a sign.-Please do not litter
12. If you own a construction or hauling business, make sure your trucks are covered when transporting material to and from sites. Use snow fencing around construction or demolition sites to prevent debris from being blown into other areas. Put trash containers on every floor for construction workers.