What is a ‘Green Job’? A Green Job is a position in which you and or your company can promote sustainable practices. Where do you start? Look at your skill set and determine:
1.) Your Interest
2.) Growth and Trends
3.) Availability in your City/State. I live in California, Rainforest had a great job opening, it was in DC!
If you still don’t know consider volunteering or doing an internship in an ECO related field.
18 Top Areas of Green Job Growth
1.) Alternative Energy:
- Solar Panel Companies, Suppliers, Retail, and Installers
- Wind Turbine Companies
- Biofuels, ethanol usage
- Water Power
- Bio Mass
- Heating and Cooling Companies:
2.) Energy Saving Products:
- Battery Chargers
- Heating and Cooling
- Home Consulting
- Emission Brokers: (Credits to emit greenhouse gases)
3.) Building General:
The Green Building industry is worth about 12 Billion and growing rapidly
You should get involved with LEEDS, US Green Building Council. Most cities have monthly meetings you can attend.
- Home Building Centers : There are only about 30 ‘Green’ Home Building Centers in the US. Off the top of my head, Washington (4), Oregon (3) Northern California (4-5) Southern California (3) Arizona (1) Utah (1) New York (5-6) Chicago (2) etc.
- Green Building Materials
- Business Leadership
- Public Relations
5. Waste Management
- Recycling Services: By the amount of hits I got on the Salvage Yard listing, I would say if you have the space, the truck, start one.
- Recycled Wood and other materials
- Reusing, Rethinking, Re-purpose: If you are crafty or handy, you might consider picking up all those ‘Free Stuff’ on Craigs list and making home decor items, furniture, paneling, clothes, accessories.
- Health and Beauty
- Vitamins and Health Supplements
- Training in Green Technologies
- Public Speaking in Going Green
- Demand for Environmental Sciences teachers
- Every city and State seems to be opening up ‘green councils’. Get in now.
- Low Carbon transport Systems
- Eco Decorating
- Commuter Services
11.) Cleaning Services:
- Home Cleaning strictly Eco
- Eco Clothes Cleaning
- Sales Meeting
- Corporate Meetings
13.) Promotional Items
- All those Give-aways, need to be green
14.) Eco Tourism
15.) Paper and Paperless
- Any company providing FSC certified paper, printing, inks
- Any company provided resources including training to become paperless
16.) Green Managers:
- Oversee the greening of the company
17.) Water Conservation
- Faucets, Toilets, Showerheads, Irrigation
18.) Fair Trade
- Anything Fair Trade
Green Collar Jobs (with some great links)