I have about 100 old and new Thread spools to save for a craft project. In the old days the thread spools were all in wood, which you could easily burn in the fireplace, now the new spools are in plastic or styrofoam. I can’t seem to find out if they are recyclable or not. No matter what you can reuse to make some pretty cool stuff.
There are all types of spools from the large wire spools to yarn spools to ribbon spools, bobbin Spools. I have 6 Vintage large wooden spools, that I use for candle holders. Many of the ideas below can be used for all types of smaller spools, whether plastic, wood or styrofoam.
1. Make an abacus Art Piece: Via Curbly
2. Use as Pedestals : Via Mike Monaco
3. Use for Photos Via Craftzine
4. Reuse for Napkin Decor. Via Lauren Elise Crafted
5. Make Decorations Via Something Created Everyday
6. Make a charm or a key chain Via Pinterest
7. I love this idea- a way to store and reuse
8. Put in a jar and put on display. You can paint them in assorted colors
9. Need to raise a chair or a table, consider attaching them on the bottom.
10. Reuse and make doorknobs
11. Make a coil clamp via Heretical Builders
12. Use for animal toys
13. Furniture for Doll Houses
14. Make Dolls. How To Make A Doll
15. Make Toys via Fun In The Making
16. Make Salt and Pepper Shakers via Homemade by Jill
17. Make a baby rattle
18. Make a Thread Nest via Just Something I Made
19. Another Tree Idea. Via Make Club
20. Make An Advent Calendar by Just Something I Made
21. Make necklaces
22. Make a flower vase
23. Make a back massager
25. Make a Christmas Tree Garland. String together and wrap around the tree.
26. Make a Wooden Spool Menorah
27. Make a Snowman
28. Make Christmas Ornaments
29. Make a Greeting Spool- isn’t this cute! Via Suburbia Soup
30. Make A Wreath
31. Loop together to make a curtain
32. Put at the end of a rope and make a jump rope.
33. The styrofoam can be reused for shipping and storing fragile items
34. Decorate a Picture Frame. Via Silly Pearl
35. Make a Lamp Via Tidy Brown Wren