Moving is a pain and can be expensive. But the good news is you can save some of the hassle and money by Greening your Move.
I just Gotta Tell Ya
- Out of a population of 282,556,000 people, 40,093,000 moved. That’s an overall percentage of 14.19 percent annually
- Estimated boxes to move -20 small, 20 medium and 5 large boxes for two to four rooms, plus dish packs (usually four or more) for kitchen items, mirror cartons for mirrors and large framed objects, and wardrobe cartons for clothes on hangers.
- Equals about 800, 000,000 Million Cardboard Boxes going into landfills!
Step 1 Start lining up your moving Supplies Now!
- Gather up cardboard boxes from Craigslist, Freecycle, grocery stores.
- Reuse, hoard and Save as much shipping peanuts, tissue paper plastic bags and newspapers from your work, garage, craigslist and freecycle.
Or go to:
- Boxcycle-Used Cardboard Exchange CA- new company and growing
- Rent a Green Box Orange County and Los Angeles
- Used Cardboard Boxes (CA)
- DJ Boxes- D.J. Transport (canada) we carry a large inventory of new and used boxes as well as packaging supplies. Our company buys and sells used boxes and contributes ecologically by recycling corrugated boxes, pallets and more. Boxes that have been misprinted or overrun can be re-used for packaging.
Step 2 Get Rid of Stuff
To many times, I see on Craigslist- ‘have to go today or going in the dumpster’- it kills me- don’t advertise the morning of- Advertise in advance- give people time to pick up your stuff- instead of waiting for the last minute to put stuff in garbage- advertise on to get rid of stuff now have a garage sale, or donate now in advance. Less to pack and ship- and you won’t miss it!
Step 3 Line up Movers
- Hire A Helper
- Go Green Moving– uses biodiesel fuel
- Green Van Lines- The don’t say anything about ‘Green’ on their site although.
Step 4 Clean with Green Cleaning Supplies
- ALL PURPOSE CLNR 32o Seventh Generation