I received an email from NY Skate requesting I do something on skating. NY Skate is a comprehensive rollerblading program dedicated to helping develop safe skills and fitness for bladers. Sounds interesting! And certainly something you should learn about skating in NYC and Central Park!
Here’s my take on roller skating and blading. Personally I prefer roller skates!
The 6 Benefits of Roller Skates or Blades
1.) good for environment
2.) good for one’s physical health.
3.) It can be done all year round, in or out doors.
4.) It’s economical- very little supplies need to be bought
5.) It’s fun for one person or in groups.
6.) It’s a good transportation alternative- no traffic, no noise, no oil used, no worries about parking, it’s free!
- The in-line skate was actually designed before the roller skate in the 18th century by the Dutch and was simply a metal frame attached to an old hockey boot. It was not manufactured, however, until the early 1980’s by the Olson brothers in North Carolina. The skates became more and more successful as hockey players found them to be helpful for training during the off season. Today, in-line skating is the fastest-growing sport.
- The first patented roller skate was introduced in the year 1760 invented by a harpsichordist and violinist, man named John Joseph Merlin. However, his invention did not become very popular among the general population. It wasn’t until 1863 when James Pimpton from Massachusetts invented the “rocking” skate, an improvement that afforded the ability to turn, allowing skaters to turn easily around corners, curves, etc. This invention opened the door for the masses to enjoy roller skating
- In 1866, Everett H. Barney, of Springfield, Mass., invented and patented a metal clamp to fasten the shoes of the skater to metal roller skates.
Where to Buy Eco Friendly Skates
- K2 Eco Friendly Skates & Accessories he Maia is the T:Nine version of an environmentally friendly skate. She features a Stability Cuff, K2 Softboot, 84mm wheels, ILQ-7 bearings and our revolutionary Bamboo frame. Designed to fit the unique foot shape of a woman, the Maia’s upper is made out of recycled materials that are both breathable and comfortable. This is the flagship for what inline skates are to become!
Greening Your Skating
- Donate, Sell and certainly don’t put them in the trash!
- Went skating consider renting, borrowing skates.
- Don’t trash or litter
- Pick up trash or litter
- Take Your Own Water Bottle
- Roller Girl- The mission at RollerGirl to help cultivate a strong new roller skate culture. This involves making roller skates and roller skate parts accessible to everyone, providing information and support to roller skaters, providing a public forum where roller skaters can meet and share ideas, and promoting events that bring roller skaters together.RollerGirl is dedicated to growing as a sustainable, socially and environmentally responsible business. This sustainable business model is the base of all our business decisions and is reflected in the way we treat our customers, employees and the environment.Read our Environmental and Social Sustainability Plan.
- Skating Fitness