2009 will be an interesting year in California. The State of California requires all 2009 and later new cars to display a sticker on their windows giving- along with a smog score a car’s global warming score. The Score based on the amount of CO2 a car emits (on a scale of 1-10-best). California is the first State, with New York to follow. More information on Drive clean.ca.gov
It will be interesting in our SUV car obsessed state to see what the results will be. Will this be like wearing a yellow star on your clothes?
As much of a Greenie, that I am, I’m not for this for many reasons:
- We are adding cost and more bureaucracy into our already strapped and bloated state budget. It will require more agencies, more taxes.
- The Taxpayer is once again going to pay for this.
- This is big brother all over- The state will be now regulating what we do.
- We can’t even fiscally manage what we currently have in this state, why do this.
- Lead into more corruption and payoffs to politicians.
- People that buy SUV’s already know what they are buying- is this really going to stop them?
We in California have a great many real problems, such as immigration, a financially- in trouble- educational system, high fuel prices, fires, potholes, corruption, broke cities and counties, medical issues (many due to illegal immigration) and more. We need to be addressing those problems, not worrying about a car’s carbon footprint- How small, petty and micromanaging can you get?
And who makes up this stuff?
There are other ways to get the message out:
1.) Larger Taxes on larger vehicles
2.) Tax credits on smaller vehicles
3.) Tax credits on commuting
4.) Specialized parking- although that would cost more money
5.) Give the person an option to display a sticker- if they want to.
6.) With the money we would save on taxes , we could continually be building mass transportation!