There are several things that drive me nuts about gardeners. 1.) I hate the ones that put their card, with a few rocks in a plastic bag and then proceed to drive up and down the streets throwing the plastic bag in peoples front yard. 2.) The ones that think that round up is the only way to kill weeds 3.) Weed blowers 4.) Sweeping lawn leavening into the street. Of course most people don’t know what the gardeners are doing because they aren’t home when all of this is occurring.
We just had a new company called Clean Air Lawn Care open up in San Diego.
- First all their equipment will be powered by renewable energy, by trucks with solar panels.
- electric mowers, edgers and blowers will be quieter and emit no oder.
- Mow grass at a taller level, better for moisture control and healthier grass
- All fertilizer and weed elimination products are organic
- larger mowers on locally produced biofuels
- All greenhouse gas emissions are offset by wind power and carbon offsets purchased from Carbonfund.org to ensure entire operation is carbon-neutral
- All grass clippings and organic matter are recycled, either on site or at a local recycling center
I just gotta Tell Ya:
- 1 hour of gas mowing emits the same amount of hydrocarbons as an SUV driven 23,500 miles?
- Small engines contribute 5-10% of the nation’s air pollution
- The average gas lawn mower runs at 100 decibels – anything over 90 decibels causes hearing damage
- Gas lawn mowers consume 580 million gallons of gasoline annually
- A 1000 square foot lawn generates 300 pounds of clippings annually, rapidly filling up landfills
- Many lawn services mow at a height that burns the grass, wastes water, and promotes weed growth
- Synthetic fertilizers and pesticides leach into waterways, create yards unfit for children & pets, and deplete the soil’s organic matter
If you want to know the impact of your lawn service, you can check it out on their calculator