I Just Gotta Tell Ya: Purchasing Eco Friendly and green laptops can:
- Reduce use of primary materials by 75.5 Million metric tons (weight of 585 million refridgators)
- Reduce use of toxic materials about the weight of 1.6 million bricks
- Eliminate enough mercury to fill 482,381 thermometers
- Saving of 42.2 billion KWH of electricity- enough to power 3.7 million USA homes/year
- Eliminate 174 million metric tons of air emissions including greenhouse gas emissions.
- Eliminate almost 365 thousand metric tons of water pollutions
Laptops take less energy than a regular desktop, (less carbon emissions) are easier to dispose of (less room in landfills) yet laptops can have a shorter lifecycle. The best place to check out sustainable laptops is EPEAT.
EPEAT is a system that helps buyers evaluate, compare and choose electronic products based upon their environmental impact. In order to be listed, EPEAT has 23 required environmental performance standards. To view products and the ratings, go to the site and you can plug in manufacturer and criteria.
EnergyStar offers a certification program that breaks down the energy usage. Ideally you want to have both EPEAT and EnergyStar certified.