- 5% of the worldwide wood harvest ends up as paper
- The United States threw out 20% of all the paper made in the world
- One fifth of all the tropical rainforests in the world disappeared between 1960 and 1990
- Europe and America have less than one-half of their original forest cover
- Fresh Kills Landfill in Staten Island, New York is the highest mountain on the east coast, south of Maine
- It takes about 31 million BTU’s to make a ton of paper enough energy to power a U.S. home for 2 months
- According to IdealBite if 10,000 printed most documents in Draft Mode, we’ll use 20,000 fewer ink cartridges per year.
- In a PC World test, a typical inkjet printed 12 ppm (pages per minute) in regular mode but cranked out 36 ppm in Draft.
The Green Factor
- Less waste. Each year, the world’s discarded cartridges, stacked end-to-end, could circle the planet three times.
- Save Money Printing double-sided, you’ll buy half as much paper,
- Print in Draft Mode- 100 pages in Draft Mode instead of regular mode, you’ll could save as much as $2 on ink.
What To Do
- Set your printer (or print software) to Draft and Double-sided. (see how to print double sided)
- Print only the pages you need- use preview and shrink to fit
- Refill your own printer cartridges
- InkSaver – software that lets you control the amount of ink your printer uses, helping you save up to 75% of your ink. Windows-only ($35).
- GreenPrint – software that weeds out pages you don’t want to print. For Mac or Windows (free for Windows, $29 for Mac). Saving up to $100 per year
- Ecofont – a free typeface for Mac or PC that’s designed to use as little ink as possible but is still totally readable.