I am trying to get over this- wearing shorts without having a tan. My past history has caught up with me- skin cancer, aging skin, wrinkle and more. So what can you do- in a sustainable, eco friendly way to get that summer tan, without polluting your body and the environment?
I Just Gotta Tell Ya
- National Institute for Health recommends 5-30 minutes of sunscreen free exposure at least 2x per week for Vitamin D
- According to the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, the National Cancer Institute found that between 1980 and 2004, annual cases of melanoma (the deadliest form of skin cancer) have increased by 50% among young women between the ages of 15-39
- 30 million Americans tan indoors annually—more than 1 million on an average day. Studies show that exposure to the UV radiation emitted from indoor tanning beds and booths increases the risk melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer.
What to Look For in a Natural Self Tanner
- Paraben Free
- Avoid 1,4 Dioxan
- Choose tanners with plant based oils rather than chemical fragrences
- Go Organic
- Go Leaping Bunny- (no animal testing)
Ingredients in Non -Toxic Self Tanners
- Nontoxic self-tanners use Dihydroxyaceton, or DHA (found in sugar beets or sugarcane) or minerals to provide natural looking color and are packed with vitamins and flower extracts to soothe and protect the skin.
Where and What to Buy
Lavera Sunless Tan – Self Tanning Lotion, 5 oz ($27.50 from Amazon) uses DHA, includes moisturizing jojoba oil and rose water
Sevin Nyne Tanning Mist ($35 from Amazon- about the same cost as a spray in a salon) Lindsay Lohan new spray is reusable and should save you about $140 from a salon. Ingredients-caramel, Goji berry extract and Chardonnay to help add antioxidant and moisturizing. Not used on animals. A portion of the proceeds to skin cancer awareness charities.
Alba Botanica Sun Sunless Tanning Lotion, Golden Tan , 4-Ounces (Pack of 2) ($13- from Amazon)ontains green tea, ginkgo biloba, aloe vera, and chamomile to soothe your skin while it turns you into a golden gal or guy in under three hours. This self tanner is paraben-free, contains 100 percent vegetarian ingredients, and has no synthetic colors. No animal testing either.
Instant Sunless Tanner – w/Walnut Extract, 4 oz (about $8- from Amazon) ingredients include aloe vera gel, green tea extract, walnut shell extract, and mango-nut fragrance oil. No animal ingredients, artificial colors, or animal testing.
Nature’s Gate Self Tanning Cream-ingredients are paraben-free and are made with Certified Organic botanicals. Nature’s Gate products don’t contain animal ingredients or byproducts