Who would have thought there were so many wood bikes around? Would you believe that Leonardo D’Vinci or one of his students is credited with designing the first bike? In the beginning the first bikes were actually made from wood. We have blogged on where to recycle bikes and how to re-purpose bicycles, and Bamboo Bikes but for some reason haven’t done a wood Bike post.
There are lots and lots of wood bikes just google wood bikes and all sorts of craftsmen are creating works of art for some green transportation.
1. Masterworks,Danville, California: Brilliant idea, taking wood from local tree- cutters (saving them from taking to landfills) are building beautiful bikes from local wood. What they say ‘We create fully functioning wooden bicycles, some wood selected from local urban forests. Each is individually designed and handmade (not CNC) by Master Wood worker Bill Holloway of Masterworks in San Jose Ca. When possible, wood is selected from the inventory at The Green Sawmill in San Mateo, Ca. where they recover and mill trees from local Bay Area communities. The attention to detail and craftsmanship makeeach one truly “Art in Motion” as they cruise down city streets turning heads where ever they are. These bikes are truly a sign that craftsmanship is still a live and well in these time of mass produced two wheeled machines.’
2. The Splinter Bike is made completely from wood
3. You can make your own bike here from various materials Woodenbikes Love The Driftwood Bike, he make bikes out of all sort of reclaimed materials.
4. Check out the Sano Bike from Japan
5. Jan Gunneweg Wood Bike
6. Love this story about a 16 year old who built a wooden bike with no metal parts. Story Lee Valley
8. From Greece, The Xylon Wood Bike (Source)
9. Via Shanghai
10. Wooden bicycle frame was made by students at the Wood Consortium-School of Encinas Reales (CEMER), a woodworking school in Andalusia (Source)
11. A lowriding Harley Wood Bike- Got this from PhotoBucket
12. The first FSC certified Wood Bike From Renovo out of Portland, Oregon
13. Flat Frame Systems
15. Polish retired plumber carved bikes (Source)
16. Very cool wood bikes from the Philippines KK.org