I Just Gotta Tell Ya
- A single restaurant disposes of more than 50 tons of organic waste every year.
- Food waste is 76% organic and can be recycled
- Meanwhile cost of food has increased 8%
- 27 percent of all food is thrown out, which works out to a pound of food every day for every American.
- Full service restaurants waste more food than fast food eateries. Food scraps make up 66 percent of restaurants’ trash, compared to 52 percent at fast food places.
Why don’t restaurants donate food the the needy? It seems they cite liablity and other issues. I wonder if they are just lazy and don’t want to take the time.
Feeding America- Feeding America, the nation’s largest charitable hunger relief organization. Feeding America supports a network of 206 food banks in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. Before September 2008, Feeding America was named America’s Second Harvest—The Nation’s Food Bank Network. The organization adopted a rebranding effort in order to help better educate and engage the public about our role in the fight against hunger. The new brand will allow them to build the support they need to feed 1 million more people each year, to significantly increase participation in federal nutrition programs, and to inspire the public to take action.
- City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works Restaurant Food Waste Recycling
- Orange County Commercial Waste Recycling