I Just Gotta Tell Ya
- 1 Billion Tubes of Toothpaste in Landfills
- Average Family uses 1 Tube per week
- Over 300 people in Panama died in early 2007 due to toothpaste tainted by substance called diethylene glycol. It’s a chemical used in anti-freeze
Ingredients in Toothpaste
- Triclosan registered pesticide, used as an antibacterial and antifungal agent and can destroy fragile aquatic ecosystems.
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
- Binding agents
- Artificial flavoring
- Artificial colors
- Preservatives such as Methylparaben and Ethylparaben-parabens: This family of preservatives (which includes methyl-, ethyl-, propyl- and butyl-parabens) can affect the endocrine system which produces the body’s hormones
- Potassium nitrate Potassium nitrate is also an aquatic environmental nasty, parabens can disrupt the hormones in animals
- Lauryl sarcosinate foaming and cleansing agent found in most soaps, shampoos and toothpastes. Serious allegations of SLS’s adverse health affects abound, though reputable sources such as the American Cancer Society have challenged the accusations
- Polyethylene glycol
- Polypropylene glycol
- Sodium saccharin/aspartame0Sweeteners such as sodium saccharin are added for taste. Other flavors are usually strong essential oils in the mint family.
- Fluoride, while required in toothpastes endorsed by the American Dental Association, does pose some health issues, namely enamel fluorosis, which can affect children age eight and younger. Enamel fluorosis is an excess mineral deposit of fluoride on developing enamel.
Recommended Toothpastes: – order from Amazon
Burt’s Bees makes fluoride-free Cinna Mint and Lavender Mint toothpastes
Herbal Choice Body offers peppermint, fennel, cinnamon and clove in fluoride-free varieties (
Toms of Maine (store locator on website)
- If your city/county does not recycle the tubes, you can send them back to Toms (Quote from a blog) ” In order to recycle our toothpaste tubes, you must first remove the plastic cap and the plastic threaded covering on the neck of the tube. The tubes can then be tossed in with your aluminum cans for recycling. In case you’re wondering, any toothpaste left in the tube and the food-grade plastic liner does not affect the tube’s recyclability. When the aluminum is processed, any residual toothpaste as well as the food-grade liner melts away without contaminating the recycled product. If your town does not accept our tubes, please feel free to save up a bunch and send them to us at Tom’s of Maine, Consumer Dialogue Team, 302 Lafayette Center, Kennebunk, ME 04043. We would be happy to recycle them for you.
Organic Clay Toothpaste $7.75 available on line
- Ingredients_ Aqua, organic hammamelis virginiana water, kaolin, glycerin, xanthan gum, mentha piperita oil, decyl glucoside, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, benzyl alcohol, glucose.
Kiss My Face – ($5.99 )available on line
- Kiss My Face Whitening Toothpaste uses soothing Certified Organic Aloe Vera combined with a powerful blend of carefully selected natural whiteners to create a truly exceptional toothpaste that still leaves your mouth feeling tingly fresh. Contains Certified Organic Aloe Vera, Silica (natural whitener), Icelandic Moss (natural whitener), Peppermint (natural flavor), Horse Chestnut (for healthy gums), Tea Tree Oil (cleansing and antiseptic), and Menthol (natural flavor).
Peelu Order through Amazon – $3.74
- Incorporates the fibers of the arak tree, the bark and twigs of which have been traditionally used in Saudi Arabia to clean teeth. Available in peppermint, spearmint and cinnamon (
The Natural Dentist
The Green Guide