Although the fruit of the buckeye tree has symbolized Ohio since the mid-1800s, it wasn’t until 1904 that the scarlet carnation was chosen as our official state flower. This flower was a favorite of William McKinley and was adopted by the state legislature partly because it represented a token of love and reverence for the Ohio president. When Legislator Elijah W. Hill introduced the adoption resolution on the floor of the Ohio House of Representatives, he said, in part: “England has the rose, France has the lily; Ireland, the shamrock; Scotland, the thistle. These flowers awaken in the hearts of the natives of these countries memories of home, fireside, childhood days, sweet sorrows, family ties, and incidents of the land of their nativity. To these ends we seek to adopt the scarlet carnation as Ohio’s floral emblem.”
- Blue Rock Station See this unique 2,200 sq ft home made of tires and trash. Private (and group) Earthship Tours may be scheduled to suit your needs.
- Eco House the mission of the OHIO Ecohouse is to demonstrate affordable, green technology and sustainable living. It serves as an outreach and education platform for Ohio University, the local community, and the Appalachian region. The Ecohouse shows high initial investment options like solar panels, medium initial investment options like appliances, and low or no initial investment options like Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs or composting systems.
- Eco USA- Ohio List of Environmental Organizations
- Green City Blue Lake
- Green Energy Ohio
- Keep Cincinnati BeautifulKeeping “The ‘Nati” untrashed with your help and lots of greening and cleaning projects.visit Keep Cincinnati Beautiful
- My Home Town Ohio this is our new feature box, which contains highlights from recent coverage of preservation, revitalization, smart growth and heritage tourism from across Ohio, and interesting stories from around the country.
- Ohio Green Living Formed in 2006, Ohio Green Living is a collective of individuals, businesses and organizations who are trying to promote green living concepts throughout the region.
- Sustainable Ohio Action Partnership (SOAP) ustainable Ohio Action Partnership (SOAP). SOAP allows Ohio residents to communicate with a unified voice to decisions makers in government and industry, at the national and local level, about the importance of protecting the state’s air, land, and water. Join SOAP and you will receive by email 10-12 action alerts per year on important environmental issues.
- Veg Ohio Protecting animals, the environment, and our health are just some of the reasons a record number of Americans are exploring a vegetarian diet. As the demand for healthy and humane plant-based foods increases, so do the veg-friendly options as more restaurants are offering animal-free meals.
- Live Green Cincinnati Being environmentally responsible and making a difference is easier than you think. Any small adjustment to your routine is a huge step in the right direction. Live Green Cincinnati challenges you to start now by choosing an item or 2 off this list of simple suggestions. Add a new item from the list to your style every few months and before you know it, you’ll have the green fever too!
- Cincinnati Chapter USGBC Network, learn about the many facets of green building, and work with like minded individuals and companies to bring the US Green Building Council’s ideals and LEED system to Cincinnati.visit Cincinnati Chapter USGBC
- Cincinnati Earth Institute CEI offers and moderates courses for exploring environmentally responsible lifestyles like living simply and sustainable living.visit Cincinnati Earth Institute
- Cincinnati Locavores Cinci Locavored is an active online group setup to share information about local foods – sources, methods of food preservation, community supported agriculture (CSA), farmers’ markets, sustainable agriculture, family farms, the politics of food, restaurants that use local ingredients, and more.visit Cinci Locavores
- Green Drinks Cincinnati Meet and network in a relaxed social setting with local individuals and businesses interested in environmental aspects of Cincinnati.
Hamilton County RecyclesThe Hamilton County Department of Environmental Services offers news and information about a number of local recycling, solid waste, and air quality topics. visit Hamilton County Recycles
- Imago for the Earth-Imago offers activities and information about living in harmony with the environment. They are also involved in Cincinnati’s most sustainable neighborhood, just 4 miles outside of downtown: Enright Ridge Eco-Village. visit Imago Earth
- Sustainable Cincinnati
- Queen City BikeConnecting two-wheeled enthusiasts all over the city. Save a car, ride a bike. visit Queen City Bike
- Black into the Green vid gardener, lover of the great outdoors, mother, survivor. These titles explain my keen interest in preserving the environment. I love to breathe in clean air while I run, hear the sounds of birds chirping overhead, watch children play outside with their dogs and feel the cool earth on my hands while I garden. I want future generations to enjoy these simple pleasures for centuries to come. This blog was created to share with you ways to enjoy the simple pleasures of our world in a responsible manner and live a healthy, conscious and fulfilling lifestyle.
- Eco City Cleveland EcoCity Cleveland is a nonprofit environmental planning organization that promotes the design of cities in balance with nature in Northeast Ohio.
- Tremont Farmers Market tremontfarmersmarket.com
- Tips on Living Green (new)
- Get Green Columbus (great information) has directory of green business
- Green CBus Green Columbus is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting sustainable living in Central Ohio and globally. Our strategies for fulfilling this promise are:
- Vegan Columbus There’s really a lot of cool stuff for vegans to do, eat, make, buy, and play with in Columbus. Need to know where in Columbus to find a vegan wedding cake? Vegan cooking classes? Which Ohio colleges test on which animals? Independent purveyors of vegan cookbooks? Local events and farmers market dates? It’s here! Have fun!
- LMF Custom Wood Work– Handmade furniture and household good made with reclaimed wood
- Erie County Waste Management
- Erie Metro Parks Under the provisions of the Ohio Revised Code, the mission of Erie MetroParks is to preserve, conserve, protect, and enhance the natural and unique historical resources of the park district. Further, to provide opportunities for visitors and residents to use, enjoy, understand and appreciate these resources in a responsible, sustainable manner.
- Scott Carpenter’s Lake Erie Journal Award-winning writer Scott Carpenter takes the reader on a 700-mile journey around Lake Erie, from the small towns of southern Ontario to the big cities of Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit. Along the way, he paints a thoughtful portrait of the “littleGreat Lake.
- Western Lake Erie Waterkeeper
- Green Home Pros Green Home Pros is an EnergyStar Partner, Energy Star is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy. Helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices.