True Confession- I am becoming obessed with free stuff. My friends all roll their eyes at me- but for some reason, I have to go on Craig’s list everyday to check out what is free. There are tons of free desks, conference tables, office chairs – one office was giving away 20 desks and chairs! Last week another office was giving away a beautiful, custom large conference table. Cubicle Dividers, Computers, Printers, File Cabinets, Plants, you name it you can find it on Craigslist.
So you may not be into free stuff or salvage, but there are other options to find eco-friendly and green office furniture. Today, with trends and health concerns, you have much more options available. All these options are fueled by government agencies, universities and corporations specifying greener products, meaning with demand, you get production and selection. Green furniture in general is growing and becoming the newest trend for all furniture stores.
Green Furniture is made from sustainably harvested woods and recycled, reclaimed, renewable, organic, bio-based, or nontoxic materials, and made with glues, paints, foams, and other ingredients that don’t give off noxious odors. How do you know they are Eco Friendly? The easiest is to see if they are carrying the Green Guard Seal “As an ANSI Authorized Standards Developer, GEI establishes acceptable indoor air standards for indoor products, environments, and buildings. GEI’s mission is to improve public health and quality of life through programs that improve indoor air.” You can find listing of Green Guard Certified Furniture on the website. You can also go to the Federal Government Vendor listing
Another good reference for Eco Friendly Office Furniture is Office Furniture.org Helpful hints, ratings and more are available.
Green Furniture Companies
- Eco Work– The amazing feature of the Ecowork EG green office furniture product is its composition of 95% recycled and rapidly renewable materials. The common but creatively finished materials blend to create an attractive and commercial grade workspace.
- Ergonomic Home– Offers a line of Green Guard Certified Products
- Go Green Office Furniture (Canada)
- Material Furniture makes workstations like the Autopilot from FSC Certified wood.
- The Green Office is a site full of eco-office supplies from stationary to toner to cleaning products to furniture. Green Guard Certified
- Dirtt provides a green cubicle system with close attention to detail.
- Krug produces office furniture with extensive ecological performance aspects.
- Springbrain office systems come in bamboo and other sustainable materials.
- The Think Chair from Steelcase.
- Herman Miller-
- Office dividers from Steelcase that contain no PVC and are recycleable.
- The Office Guild– Office Furniture Recyclers
Whether you salvage, repurpose or buy new- please consider the Greening your office furniture, not only for yourself and staff, but the environment as well.