I love Mexico, the people, the language, the art, the colors, the ruins, the food. I hate the poverty and the trash! Grupo Salinas, Fundacion Azteca and Mexico’s Environmental Ministry have now published guidelines for Anti-Litter and Recycling Competitions to encourage people to recycle. The Nezahualcoyoti dump site (the size of 4 sports stadiums) is under closure order due to being full and at risk for contamination of water supplies.
I Just Gotta Tell Ya
- 12,5000 Tons of garbage is produced daily in Mexico City
- Mexico City Recycles only 6% of their trash
- 9,259 Gallons of water/second are needed each day for inhabitants in Mexico City
- May 31, Grupo Salinas collected more than 3,500 metric tons of garbage.
- Hoy No Circula- (One Day Without a Car): campaign keeps at least 1.6 million cars per week off the road in Mexico City.
- 4 Million ton of toxic emission are released into the air every year in Mexico City
The goal of Mexico city is to build several waste processing centers to recycle, burn or compost 85% of the city’s trash.