2010 Two Week Roadside Litter Campaign in North Carolina
- 4.2 Million Pounds or (1.9 billion cigerattees, 134 million coke cand or 42,000 couches)
- 288,000 bags with Roadside litter.
- Highway Patrol issued 240 citations (not enough to cover cost)
- N.C. Department of Corrections inmate crews -1,789 of those bags
- 1,424 bags were stuffed by Adopt-A Highway groups and other volunteers around the county.
Who paid for this? Taxpayers of course, this was litter pickup for only 4 weeks of the year. Lets get realistic:
North Carolina has a population of 9,381,000 people – thats about 4.5 pounds of litter per person. Pretty trashy.
In order to communicate to motorists who litter (litterbugs), North Carolina are asking every citizen to assist in our educational effort to ensure a cleaner and safer North Carolina roadway system.
Let them know when a person is littering by contacting our Office of Beautification Programs through the Swat-A-Litterbug process:
- E-mail us: On-line Swat-A-Litterbug form to report a litterbug (click here)
- Mail in the Swat-A-Litterbug card*
- Call our Customer Service Office at 1-877-DOT-4YOU (1-877-368-4968)
- Source: www2.statesville.com/news/2011/jan/24/roadside-trash-pickup-total-here-47535-lbs-ar-720495/
- For more information, visit www.ncdot.gov/beautification
- R3- North Carolina Statistics on Trash