Artist Standford Kay, produces the best inform-graphics that I have ever seen. He just did this information graphic/illustration on Oil, which shows how much the USA is dependent on oil. It makes me sick to think about it. It makes me sick because the oil companies do not care. It makes me angry, that this will blow over and the good old boys with deep pockets will be spending money with our corrupt politicians. It makes me sad that millions of people from fisherman and tourist industries will have their lives and livelihood destroyed for years to come. It makes me pissed off that us, the taxpayer will be paying for this, you think the oil companies will pay for this?? Never in a million years, they don’t pay for anything, except cash donations and gifts to politicians. It makes me disappointed in my friends and family who continue to use plastic bags, continue to buy bottled water and just have apathy about our environment.
Do you know:
- Exxon Valdez Clean up cost was $2.5 Billion US and have been estimated to be as much as $7 Billion, you the taxpayer paid $121 Million.
- The taxpayer paid $89 Million for the oil spill in 1994 off the cost of Puerto Rico,
- The cost of oil spill clean up in the Gulf of Mexico is approaching $1 Billion US . To date and ITS NOT OVER, the oil spill cleanup has cost Federal Taxpayer $87 Million. That is $355 per person in the United States based upon a population of 308 Million. (only 138 Million taxpayers although)
Least you forget this is not the only oil spill in the world, Right now besides DeepWater in the USA and the Gulf of Mexico,
- Another oil spill in Singapore. The MT Bunga has spilled over 2,000 tons of oil. In April of 2010,
- The Great Barrier Reef 3 tons of oil were spilled and again in Port Arthur (Texas) January of 2010, 1500 tons of oil were spilled
But it all starts with you the consumer- you can stop oil drilling in many ways besides sending a message to Obama and voting no. Every person and every little step helps to reduce our dependence on oil.
- 71% of our oil is used in transportation. If everyone just started to walk to work, car-pooled, use mass transportation or bicycled that percentage would go way down and we would not have to spend millions of dollars in oil cleanups and building oil rigs.
- If everyone stopped using plastic bags and refused plastic bags at more places than the grocery store, we would be less dependant on oil.
- Stop buying bottled water and other drinks in plastic container.
No matter where you live, this oil spill will effect you. From the fish you eat to the water you play in will have oil and be toxic.
- Your taxes will go up- because believe me you the taxpayer will be paying for this for years to come.
- The cost of gasoline will go up- BP has shareholder to report to and they have to raise prices.
- Food will go up
- Medical insurance will go up and the taxpayer will pay for that as well.
- Your politicians will be more susceptible to monies given out by oil companies (Greed) as they try to clean up their image.
So next time you get in that car think about how much it really costs, every time you use a plastic bag, think about the Gulf of Mexico and every time you buy fish ask yourself how much oil that fish ate to get to you and next time you bitch about taxes, think about how much of your taxes are being paid to oil companies.