The other day, my handyman and I were loading and setting up a countertop to be painted. He stepped on the grass and WHEW!!! Since he can’t smell- he could have tracked this in my brand new floor! I was pissed! not at him, but at rude, inconsiderate people. Then- I went to our ‘Landscape Director’ and found out, he actually walks the whole complex and picks up Dog Doo for everybody! How rude is that!!!!!
The other thing that pisses me off, I know you all see it, people out walking their dogs and no bags! Then worse yet, once they see you watching, they pull out the bag and pretend to pick it up or they pick it up and leave it there! I know of 3 dog owners that do that. One has a small dog, she probably thinks, small dog, small mess!
See above photo- these are the signs I made for our complex- made with recycled materials (cardboard and hangers) Kids play in the green areas- people walk in the green areas- they should not be subject to having to wipe their shoes off!
I just Gotta Tell Ya
- Dog waste is estimated to cause between 20-30 % of stream pollution.
- An estimated 1.25 million lbs of dog waste in Whistler
- The U.S. produces 10 million tons of pet waste annually, with about 6,500 tons of pet waste coming from the very pet-friendly city of San franciso
- Recent study in San Francisco determined that pet waste makes up 3.8% of residential landfills.
So Is Dog Do Bad for the Environment?
- Dog Doo contain bacteria that is harmful to all animals- contains the same bacteria that human have.
- Bacteria from Dog Doo finds its way into the rivers and lakes and can cause cholera or dysentery.
- Bacteria from Dog Doo grows in water and reduces amount of oxygen for fish
- Not good to use in garden- can leach into vegetables and make you sick
- Runoff containing dog waste also causes bacteria levels to rise in waterways and can make beaches unsafe for swimming.
Some Common Diseases:
The Most Ecological Thing you Can Do
1.) Flush it down your Toilet – no waste, no plastic bags- how great is that – Your community sewage treatment or septic system can treat it
2.) If not Seal the Waste in a plastic bag and throw it in the garbage. Use Biodegradable pet bags
Order Bio Bag Dog from Amazon
3.) Bury small quantities in your yard (away from veggies) where it can decompose slowly. Dig a hole 1 foot deep. Put 3-4 inches of waste at the bottom. Cover the waste with at least 8 inches of soil. Bury the waste in several different locations in your yard.
Don’t Want to do that: Hire a Pooper Scooper