One set neighbors have a total of 4 cars (2 people) another neighbor has 4 cars (1 person)- all taking up valuable parking spaces, polluting the air because they either won’t or don’t know how to get rid of them.
I just Gotta Tell Ya:
- The Steel Recycling Institute estimates that vehicle recycling represents 14 million tons of recovered steel. It also provides reusable parts for new cars, such as wheels and windows, and offers a solution for unwanted, junk cars. Keep America Beautiful found 15,000 trashed cars in American parks in 2008 alone.
- More than a million cars are being illegally dumped very year
- About 65 percent of a junked car is made from steel (the rest is made from other metals plus glass, rubber and upholstery). The price for scrap steel and iron, though volatile, often hovers around $250 per ton.
- Recycling metal uses about 74 percent less energy than making new steel, according to theEnvironmental Protection Agency. Recycled steel is cheaper as well, since new ore doesn’t have to be mined to produce it.
- All steel produced today has at least 25 percent recycled steel in it, and some products are made entirely from recycled steel. So in addition to the economic and environmental benefits, recycling cars is a vital link in the world’s industrial infrastructure.
- Rubber tires decompose naturally over a fairly reasonable-sounding period of 50 to 80 years.
- Engine blocks will take at least 500 years to break down
- Polyurethane seat cushions under your fine leather interior: they take at least 1,000 years to decompose.
- It will reportedly take a million years or more before your vehicle’s windshield is ground down to powder
The most eco friendly thing you can do with cars- is not have one- will save you tons of money and the environment. That said- the next eco friendly thing you can do- is drive less (saving more money and the environment) and keeping your car longer, buying hybrids, keeping your car tuned and in good shape. Barring that- do not illegally dump your car- sell it, donate it or recycle.
Where to Donate:
- Habitat’s Cars for Homes™ program offers free pick-up and recycling of vehicles in any condition. The vehicle must have four inflated tires to facilitate towing, and a vehicle title is required to show transferal of ownership. In addition to cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, RVs and even construction equipment are accepted.
- Vehicle Donation Program– Teddy Bear Corps
- Steel Recycling Institute–
- Earth 911– Tips on Recycling Miscellaneous Car Parts
- Autoblog- Green- Great information on Auto Scrapping and Green Cars