The below saving water tips are very easy to do- it is all a matter of getting into new habits- If you have a family make it a family project and goal, set up a ‘water saving chart’ for the family to discuss and review on a weekly, monthly basis.
I Just Gotta Tell Ya
- (Pre Drought) Average cost of water in Los Angeles, California is about $0.004 per gallon.nver, Colorado and Phoenix, AZ, tap water costs about $.001 per gallon. Tucson, AZ, tap water costs about $0.0025 per gallon.
- Standard bathroom faucets use 2.5 gallons of water per minute
- The average person uses a shower for 10 minutes per day, so switching to a low flow showerhead can save a family of four about 58,000 gallons of water per year, and our country as a whole would save 4.3 trillion gallons of water per year. If you reduced the length of your shower from 10 minutes to 8 minutes, you could save even more water! The 3 minute shower is the best!
- The average person uses 100 gallons of water per day for everything from drinking to bathing to garden maintenance. The average household water bill is $300 per year.
- 45% of a household’s total water consumption takes place in the bathroom:
Easy Tips To Turning Off the Taps
- Put pitcher of water in the refridgator- instead of running water to get cold water
- Scrape dishes rather than rinse clean.
- Keep a tub of water handy in the sink for rinsing and soaking- you can also reuse the water and water plants at the end of the day.
- Rinse hands for only 15 seconds
- Turning off the water while you brush your teeth (2 minutes) should save you approximately 5 gallons of water per day, or 1825 gallons of water per year
- Washing Face- use a washcloth instead of running water fill up sink with water and use for washing and rinsing face.
- When Shaving, fill up a cup with water and use that instead of leaving water running.
- Consider not showering every day-
- Set a timer, and keep the shower hot for every family member. Shortening your shower by five minutes can save 20 to 40 gallons of water per shower. Installing a low flow showerhead with a shut-off valve can save you even more.
- In the shower, a lot of water can be wasted while soaping up. Wet down, turn off the water, soap up and the turn the water on for rinsing.