Surf Aid International (www.surfaidinternational.org) was started by of group of concerned surfers in 2000, who became concerned by the suffering and preventable dealth in the Mentawai Islands. Their mission is to ‘improve the health and well being of people living in isolated regions connected to use through surfing.’ They are involved in community development, helping people help themselves through education and sustainable solutions. Working with the community they have established Emergency preparedness, health programs- water and sanitation needs and setting up education. All important programs for healthy living.
I like to think that surfers everywhere get involved in the local communities of where they surf. Thank you Surf Aid International!
I Just Gotta Tell Ya
- 9.7 Million children dying worldwide/years under five (UNESCO 2007)
- Infant morality rate in the Mentawai Islands is 93 per 1,0000 live births.
What SurfAid has Accomplished
- SurfAid International Schools Program supported by Billabond: schools.surfaidinternational.org
- Quiksilver SurfAid Community Health Training Centre At Katiet, Sipora Island- Launched in Nov. 2007 to provide training in nutrition, basic hygiene, malaria prevention and sustainable living.
- Water and Sanitation (WATSAN)- Working in Nias since 2006 to restore and improve water supply systems by repairing wells damaged by earthquakes.
- Community Based Health Programs (CBHP) For the Mentawai Islands and Nias; SurfAid has 797 volunteer mothers in 95 Care Groups focused on reducing the high infant moraltiy rate of children under five.