I Just Gotta Tell Ya
- The United States originally had a billion acres of forest.
- Now only 40 million acres remain uncut.
- American people own 635 million acres of public land U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Park Service, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and are compris
- Public lands provide 80% of municipal water supplies and half of the remaining habitat left to endangered species
- The U.S. Forest Service routinely loses $1.2 billion per year for the taxpayers, since they spend more money building logging roads and administering timber sales for timber companies than they receive from the sale of public trees.
- An honest, full cost accounting of the Forest Service would reveal that revenues from living public forests are worth over $117 billion per year, yet revenues from Forest Service lands are only $354 million per year. ”
According to Forst Service Reco commerial logging in the Tongass National Foret lost taxpayers $48 M in 2004. Since 1982 Taxpayers have spent nearly $1b subsidizing the timber industry clear cutting of Tongass Nation Forest
In one deal alonen the Forest Service spent nearly $4.3 M preparing 450 acres of pristing forest for sales by building logging roads then sold it for $53,000.
Tongass Logging Subsidies http://126.96.36.199/Library/Documents/upload/Factsheet-TongassSubsidies-TCS.pdf
Siskiyou National Forest
The Government Accounting Office (GAO) today confirmed that logging after the Biscuit fire in southern Oregon’s Siskiyou National Forest lost money. The report released by Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM), ranking Democrat on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee revealed that the Biscuit logging project cost taxpayers nearly $2 million dollars. (Portland Independent Media Center) http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2006/10/346999.shtml
Taxpayers have to foot the bill for building roads and other operations that will make the extensive logging project possible, according to the agency documents compiled by PEER:
- Sierra Club
- Kucinich- http://environment.kucinich.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=1
- Heritage Forests Campaign
- IRS Laws http://www.scribd.com/doc/537733/US-Internal-Revenue-Service-forlog