Most states have an annual litter clean up and the Great American Cleanup of Pennsylvania continues on through May 31st. Cleanup supplies such as bags, gloves and vests donated by PennDOT and Keep America Beautiful. Additionally, during the Pick It Up PA Days, which is from April 11th to May 4th, sponsored by Department of Environmental Protection,
PENNDOT spends $10.1 million cleaning up roadside litter every year. It costs approximately $835/ton to clean up illegal dumpsites. It is estimated that there are thousands of illegal dumpsites in Pennsylvania.
Last year PennDOT’s clean up program yielded 6.4 million pounds of litter by more than 136,000 volunteers.
- 80,575,227 million pounds of litter and waste
- 146,259 miles of roads, waterways, shorelines, and trails have been cleaned
- 136,300 trees, bulbs, and flowers have been planted.
- Volunteers also removed over 202,350 tires and 130,218 pounds of scrap metal.
In addition CleanWays and Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful have joined together to clean up illegal dumpsites:
- 50 dumpsites identified containing an estimated 65.25 tons of trash.
- 11,900 tons of trash have been removed from illegal dumpsites in Pennsylvania
- Over 410,000 tires
- 2,250 tons of scrap metal
Interested individuals can find a listing of cleanup events, resources for organizing a cleanup, and other information about the effort online at www.gacofpa.org.
- Keep PA Beautiful
- Report A Litterbug
- Report a Litterbug: 1-888-LITTERBUG