As you are looking for Eco-Chic clothing, many sources are in your back door. Consider the following Sustainable Clothing Manufacturers who have made a commitment to the environment, fair trade practices and long term sustainability. This definitely not a complete list. More to follow on small independent manufacturers.
- American Apparel: Is offering organic T’s. Offers sweatshop free clothing.
- Eagle Creek: Even though they don’t have clothes, this is a spectacular company. In fact the only travel gear I will buy is Eagle Creek (or Tumi). They have strong commitments to Conservation, and other causes. Best of all, the quality is outstanding.
- Gap: Banana Republic, Old Navy: The company itself is practicing sustainability. Some organic products available
- Levis: 100% biodegradable material. Store locator on website. My favorite pair of Jeans, Levi’s 501’s. I can’t wear them all the time, it depends on how much weight I have gained or lost! My Levi’s are the barometer of my weight.
- LL Bean: Sustainable company by management of resources, fair working conditions and charitable giving.
- Nike: The best part about Nike, is the recycled tennis shoe program. They are active in reusing the shoes for sport surfaces such as basketball courts. Call 800. 352.6453 for more information.
- Prana: Sustainable company with major of materials made in the USA and utilized recycled materials. I love my Prana clothes. They travel well, they are niche. The only problem I have is the pants are not made for tall people, too short! Store Locator on Website:
- Patagonia: One of the first sustainable companies, invented the Fleece’ material from recycled materials. This company walks the talk and has been fully committed to the environment since their inceptions. Outdoor Apparel. Store locator on Website
- REI: Outdoor Apparel, very committed to the environment.
- Timberland: Offer 100% organic products.
TakePart: A little review on Levi’s, REI, American Apparel