Every year I have my clothing exchange and donation and one of the items we get the most of is bras. Even though I put it into the clothing to be given away, I was always relucant to give away used intimate apparrel.
Not anymore! The Bosum Buddy Recycling BraProgram want your bras! They are a textile recycling company whom specialized in recycled bras and giving them to women who need basic intimate staples.
They need bras in good condition that can be reworn and all sizes, and take special needs bras, post breast surgery and maternity bras. To find out more click on their site or even visit them on Facebook. They have drop off location in AZ, Dallas or Sacramento or you can mail them in.
But if you are in Japan, Wacoal, a undergarment manufacturer started collecting used bras for recycling. So far the company has collected 350 bags or 36,000 old bras.
In the UK there is BreastTalk.co.uk- you can donate your old bras there. The collect and distribute bras to charities in the UK and abroad.
20 Ways To Reuse Old Bras
1. Use on fruit trees or vegetables to cradle ripening food.
2. Use for scarecrow clothing
3. Make a quilt
4. Use for patches on jeans, pants and even shirts
5. Decor your bedroom, frame the bra.
5. Use to make a cell phone purse or even an Ipod purse.
7. Use to sew a pocket on your gear to hold ipods or cell phones
8. Re-sew the bra into a camisole
9. Take apart and put in your favorite ‘herbs’ and make sachets. Place in dressers or closets.
10. Reuse the elastic for other craft items.
11. Reuse the hooks for craft items
12. Cut the hooks off and use as extenders on older bras.
13. If your bra is out of cotton, compost it.
14. Make a purse or wallet. See Craftbits
15. Re-fashion into a dust mask.
16 Make Art Work
17. Re-Purpose into a Bustier
18. Use For Exercise and tone up those muscles.
19. Wrap Xmas Tree ornaments
20. Use as Knee pads