You can buy jeans anywhere, but the trend toward organic jeans is a good thing. The EPA classified 8 of the pesticides used in non-organic cotton as possible carcinogens. Cotton uses 25% of the world’s insecticides. But there is no real regulation for jeans manufacturer to insure ‘organic manufacturing.’ The Global Textile Standard has the most comprehensive certification. You can also look for Co-op America, an organization to create a environmentally safe society. Organic Consumers Association also has listing for Eco friendly clothing. Fair Trade Federation can help you find a supplier near you.
I just Gotta Tell Ya:
- Nearly a pound of chemicals goes into every pair of jeans.
- It takes 10.5 gallons of water per jean
- Denim is dyed with petroleum based dyes, that do not easily break down.
- Finishing jeans to make them soft requires toxic bleaches.
- The color sealants contain formaldehyde.
- The most Eco Friendly Color for Jeans is the darker colors as it requires less dyes and chemicals
- Acne Jeans: Flagship store in NY, out of Sweden, you can order online
- Alternative Apparel: Organic Cotton, Store locator on website
- Certified Jeans: Made in the US of 100% Grown Organic Cotton
- Crow Clothing: Store Locator on Site
- Del Forte: Organic Cotton Jeans: Store Locator on Website
- Edun: Offers many other types of organic clothing. Nordstroms and other retailers carry them as well
- Fair Indigo: Organic Jeans -Order online
- Good Society: Available from many sources online
- HT Naturals : Store locator on Site
- Indigenous Designs: Not really denim jeans, but offer organic cotton type of pants. Store Locator on Website
- Kuyichi Organic Jeans: Organic and Fair Trade. European Store Locator on Site.
- Linda Loudermilk Store Locator on Website
- Loomstate: Store locator on Website
- Make Your Own Jeans: Ayurvedic treated jeans, completely free of synthetic chemicals. Online ordering
- Mavi: 100% organic Cotton
- Nudie Jeans Company: Australia but you can order online
- Of The Earth: Organic Jeans. Store Locator on website
- Rawganique: Sweatshop Free Organic Products. Order online
- Sharkah Chakra: Organic jeans- UK Company, you can order online
- Sling and Stone: Make Good Society Jeans. Store Locator on Website
- The Green Loop: Offers many designers.
- Undesigned: Store Locator on website
- Refurbish Your Jeans : Send your jeans to them and they will refurbish
Voice of Fashion