Somebody who abstains from contributing to the economy and salvages society’s wasted food and resources rather than purchase more themselves.
I also found that freegan.info takes the definition a step further to include not just people searching for food but also:
“People who are concerned so deeply with the social and ecological impact of economic over-consumption that they choose to buy and work as little as possible and, instead, to live directly off the massive waste created by our modern society.”
Personally, I think this is great, unless they are a free-loaders (we all know lots of them). When I look at people’s trash cans and the new shoes, clothes, sports equipment they throwaway, I don’t blame anyone for dumpster diving, taking things out of the trash, reselling or using.
I just gotta Tell Ya
- Americans represent 5% of the world’s population, but generate 30% of the world’s garbage
- Americans waste or cause to be wasted nearly 1 million pounds of materials per person every year.
- Less than 2% of the total waste stream in the United States is recycled.
Here is the kicker: If you were savvy and had access to a computer, you would never need to
- buy sporting equipment, shoes, clothes again.
- buy mattresses, furniture, computers again.- all of that is free
- buy fertilizer, there is plenty of free dirt available and no need to add nutrients, compost.
- buy food (yes, there is plenty of food – 96.4 Billion pounds of food go uneaten
That is not the full list, but there is something to be said for Freeganism. Why not take what other throw away?