- 963 Million people across the world are hungry
- 16,000 children die from hunger- related causes every day.
- In the United States- 10.9% or 35.5 Million people live in household that experience hunger.
- Each year, more than five million children die from under nutrition and a further 1.8 million from food- and water-borne diarrhoea diseases.”
- American throw away $48 Billion Dollars worth of food every year
- $20 billion worth of food that supermarkets throw away every year.
- Recent studies estimate that Americans waste approximately 25 percent of their groceries instead of consuming them.
- Factor in an average cost of $7,000 a year on groceries (this is the number for a household of three, so it will vary according to your location and family size), you get a waste of $1750 a year.
- Rotting food also pumps heaps of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Plus the costs for collecting, transporting and land filling the excess food come from the taxpayers.
If the average family is throwing away $1750 worth of food a year- why not donate it instead? Cut back on the amount of food waste and with your savings donate to your local charity of get involved with an organization like Heifer International., who focus on ending world hunger by community involvement, education and sustainable agriculture.
- Millions of Mouths– Photo Album