I had done a previous post on the High Cost of Litter- Taxpayer dollars. Many people emailed me and asked me where I got the information- here it is.
Arkansas Litter, Garbage, Trash facts and stats.
- Litter Campaign- Keep Arkansas Beautiful- One Capitol Mall Suite 4A-109 Little Rock, AR 72201 Phone: 501.682.3507 Toll Free: 1.888.742.8701 Fax: 501.682.2383
- Each year, an estimated 17,000 Arkansans volunteer for the statewideGreat Arkansas Cleanup litter-pickup event. Through their efforts, litter is picked up from 3,400 miles of roadway, 121 parks and public areas, and 534 miles of shoreline; and 26 illegal dumps are closed.
- And Arkansas has historically been a leader in volunteerism during this three-month springtime effort by organizing 300 events that involved more than 10,000 volunteers and 45,000 hours of donated time. This spring, improve your community by participating in your local Great American Cleanup.
- It costs Arkansas more than $2 million annually to clean up along the highways, and $5 million in total cleanup costs. And even though littering is illegal in Arkansas – punishable by a fine and community service
- In Taxpayer Dollars- that equates to about $1700 per year per person- that does not count cleaning up illegal dumpsite (about $50,00 per site, State and Forestry litter cleanups, City cleanups etc.)
- Arkansas recycled 1.9 million tons or 40.2% of its waste in 2004
- Keep Arkansas Beautiful and EcoPhones, a national cell phone & ink jet cartridge recycler, have partnered to protect Arkansas’ environment from potentially hazardous cellular and printer cartridge waste. In this program, any Arkansas school or community organization can earn cash for every used cell phone collected! Unlike other cell phone recycling programs, EcoPhones accepts all cell phones – even non-working phones.
- There are an estimated 4 million used cell phones in Arkansas.
- Last year, more than 100 Arkansas schools and community groups conducted a Cell Phone Recycling Fundraiser to fund a variety of charitable causes.
Illegal Dumping Arkansas
- Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality Protects the environment and enhance the welfare of the citizens of Arkansas by effective solid waste management through the Division’s enforcement, planning, permitting, recycling and grants programs. Can file a complaint online
- Article on Illegal Dumping– Huntsville
- To file a complaint on line, go to http://www.adeq.state.ar.us/home/complaints.htm where there are links to several Departments which regulate water, hazardous waste, air, solid waste, spills, dumps, etc. For water complaints like erosion from subdivisions or illegal mining http://www.adeq.state.ar.us/water/forms/complaint_online.asp or
- To write ADEQ Water, 5301 Northshore Drive, North Little Rock, AR 72118-5317, Call (501) 682-0657 or fax (501) 682-0910.
- To file directly with an Inspector in your area http://www.friendsoftherivers.org/Water Inspector District Map – Color _08-01-08_.pdf