If you’re a certified friend of nature, a tree-hugging greenie who puts the planet first, then perhaps you’ve noticed a decided lack of suitable mates who share the scope of your environmentally conscious sensibilities. Of course, the dating scene is not totally devoid of those who reduce, reuse, and recycle, but finding another eco-devotee who is willing to go on a totally green date (walk to local vegan restaurant that runs exclusively on clean energy) has not been as easy as you supposed. However, like every other sector of society, eco-activists looking for love can find help from some likely sources; namely the internet.’
1. Green Singles. This long-standing website makes the bold (and somewhat amusing) claim that it was made with 100% recycled electrons and that nary and animal or tree was harmed in production. That should give you an idea of the approach they take to green dating. They are serious, but they don’t take themselves too seriously. The site is devoted to providing a connection for those who are concerned with the environment and animal rights, and their list of possible qualifiers contains pursuits that are both environmentally and spiritually conscious. This is a good place to start if you’ve been looking for love in all the wrong places. Plus, it’s free.
2. Green Passions. The great thing about this dating service for eco-friendly patrons on the prowl is that it is 100% free (unlike many sites that will charge you a fee to find love). It is concurrently advertised as a social networking site, and to that end there are both chats and forums to meet up with other singles or simply air grievances about the sorry state of our planet.
3. Earth Wise Singles. If you’re a friend of Mother Earth, an environmentally responsible adult, you’re concerned about world peace (Miss America candidates welcome!), or all of the above, then apparently this website was created to help you find your soul mate for the low price of only $14.95 every three months). There is a one-week free trial, but a membership will net you advanced search options (to avoid wading through pages and pages of listings) and access to sister site Veggie Singles for You (tailor made for vegetarian members).
4. Eco Dater. This one is a bit more fun, as it advertises for a diverse range of singles from organic farmers to eco travelers to anyone who engages in a natural, holistic lifestyle They claim to be benevolent and community oriented, unlike other dating sites that are inauthentic and manipulative. So that’s good news. They are also offering free lifetime membership for a limited time. Those who sign up once the offer is over will have to pay $4.95, but a portion of all proceeds will be donated to charitable community organizations.
5. Eco-functions. Contrary to popular belief, not all dating is done on the internet. If you’re keen to meet some like-minded singles in person, look for events in your area that have a green theme (attend rallies, volunteer at your community garden, or plan a door-to-door recycling day where you and some friends give information on recycling and pick up used items to take to the homeless shelter). Getting out in the community, spreading the word, and meeting other interested parties might just do double duty by delivering a potential date (or mate).
Kyle Simpson is a writer for Pickup Artist where you can find great tips and advice on dating.