What to do with old dishwashers? The average dishwasher should last around 9 years which means that is a lot of dishwashers going into our landfills.
I just gotta Eco Ya:
- In 2012 approximately 19.7 dishwashers were be sold globally.
- Approximately 85% of households in the USA have a dishwasher. (Source)
- Number of households in the USA in 2011 114, 761, 359 (US Census)
- The average dishwasher uses 6 gallons of water per cycle;
- The average Energy Star-rated dishwasher uses 4 gallons per cycle, and their energy use ranges from 1.59 kWh per load down to 0.87 kWh per load.
Can you Recycle an old dishwasher?
- Check with your local recycling center to see if they can pick up.
- Put on Craigslist to see if someone wants them
That said, you can reuse almost all parts of a dishwasher.
1.) Re-Use the racks as under the bed storage
2.) This is a great idea to reuse the silverware tray for crafts or even silverware storage.
3.) Clearing out the dishwasher and reusing as a box or storage makes some sense. I can see this as book shelf or even outdoor storage. This would also make a very unique Little Free Library
4.) I like this concept to reuse as storage for your dishes. Put on some rollers, add a butcher top and you have a rolling table and storage.
5.) The drum can be reused as a table or make a light fixture. From Inhabitat