The state flower of New Jersey was originally designated as such by a resolution of the Legislature in 1913. Unfortunately the force of resolution ended with the start of the 1914 legislative session, leaving the violet with uncertain status for the next fifty years. In 1963 an attempt was made to have the Legislature “officially” designate the violet as the state flower, but the legislation apparently failed. In 1971, at the urging of New Jersey’s garden clubs, legislation more specifically designating the Common Meadow Violet (Viola sororia) as the state flower was enacted.
Green Eco Resources in New Jersey
- List of Environmental Organizations
- Clean Water- NJ
- City Green City Green, Inc. is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to facilitating the establishment of urban community gardens in northern New Jersey’s cities to enrich the lives of inner city residents, while cultivating education in public health, nutrition and the environment.
- Dandelion Vintage I’m Carol, welcome to my blog. Here you’ll read about stuff I like, stuff I do, stuff I make, my dog, the Jersey Shore and stuff I sell too. I own the Dandelion Vintage Clothing website, online since 1997.
I sell vintage clothing, lingerie and accessories from the 1900s to the mid 1960s. I have a nice selection of wearable vintage and my prices are nice and affordable too. Fresh vintage stock is added every Monday. Email Carol
- Eco Realty A down to earth look at real estate issues in Northern New Jersey with an environmental twist.
- Enviro Politics Blog
- Green Jersey Green Jersey is an environmental news blog that’s based in, and all about, New Jersey. Its blogger-editor is Jennifer Weiss, a New Jersey-based journalist.
- Green Building Council
- Green Eggs and Planet- Great Blog When it makes sense and it’s easy, people will take action. Healthy living makes sense to many, but there are countless others who are waiting for answers before they come aboard. Green Eggs and Planet functions as a place where answers are collected, ideas are researched and proposed and new questions are offered as starting points for intelligent and conscious action.
- Green Jersey (Great Info tons of stuff
- New Jersey Blogs- Some Green on it
- Green New Jersey Forum An eco-friendly place for the advancement of eco-consciousness in New Jersey- not too much on this site yet.
- Green Mountain Energy Green Mountain Energy Company is committed to maintaining its leadership position as the nation’s leading provider of cleaner energy and carbon offset solutions. The company has three primary business units: residential electricity, commercial electricity, and carbon offsets. This business strategy is designed to keep us in the forefront of the sustainability industry
- Harriman Hikers Harriman Hikers is a north New Jersey Singles hiking club. Established 1974.
- Leafy Green Info– Green Product Review
- Muck N Mire– Gardening in mid Jersey
- NJ Mountain Bike I have a love mountain biking and the great outdoors. I try to lead a active and healthy life style with my family and friends. NJ has so much to enjoy and appreciate outdoors
- New Jersey Clean Energy New Jersey’s Clean Energy ProgramTM is making renewable energy technologies like solar, wind, and biomass affordable, practical, and just plain smart! From programs to incentives, from practical solutions to success stories, the NJCEP has the information and support you need to adopt and install renewable energy technologies.
- New Jersey Future New Jersey Future was founded to achieve smart growth statewide: growth that protects New Jersey’s open lands and natural resources, strengthens our communities, makes it easier to get around, and increases our housing choices. New Jersey Future fulfills this mission through original research, policy analysis, public education, and advocacy
- New Jersey Green Homes Office The goal of the New Jersey Green Homes Office is to create programs, resources and building guidelines to be used by residents, developers, and government entities to make New Jersey a leading example of resource efficient, healthy, and cost conscious residential new construction and rehabilitation. The New Jersey Green Homes Office is located at the New Jersey Housing & Mortgage Finance Agency. HMFA and Green Homes have several programs that provide financial and technical assistance with sub-metering, solar photovoltaic, healthy interior, and other energy saving materials and practices – for the rehabilitation and new construction of affordable, market rate and special needs housing. To that end, the GHO will work with state and local agencies to incorporate, encourage, and standardize the inclusion of sustainable design practices.
- New Jersey Sustainable State Institute he New Jersey Sustainable State Institute is dedicated to helping New Jerseyans “Live With the Future In Mind.” Our mission is to create a healthy, just, and efficient New Jersey for us, and for future generations.
- New Jersey Keep it Green The New Jersey – Keep It Green (KIG) Campaign represents over 100 statewide, local and regional organizations ranging from sportsmen’s groups and environmental organizations to affordable housing and urban park advocates working to secure a long-term stable source of funding for the acquisition of open space, farmland and historic sites as well as the capital improvement, operation, maintenance, and stewardship of state and local natural areas, parks and historic sites
- New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association The mission of the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association is to promote sound planning as a process essential to improving the quality of life of the citizens of New Jersey.
- New Jersey Chapter of the Sierra Club The Sierra Club is a national, member-supported environmental organization, which seeks to influence public policy in both Washington and the state capitals through public education and grass-roots political action.
- New Jersey Conservation Foundation A non-profit, member-supported land trust working to promote conservation of land and natural resoures throughout NJ for the benefit of all.
- New Jersey Clean Energy CouncilThe New Jersey Clean Energy Council is recogned as a national model that promotes increased energy efficiency; supports installation of clean, renewable sources of energy and provides information to help reduce energy use.
- New Jersey Department of Environmental ProtectionGoverning with the Future in Mind is the companion report to Living with the Future in Mind: 2000. Governing with the Future in Mind introduces the strategic initiatives that State government is pursuing to achieve the Goals of a Sustainable State.
- New Jersey DEP Division of Watershed Management A planning agency involved in watershed management and Water Quality Management Plannng in New Jersey.
- New Jersey Higher Education Partnership for SustainabilityThe mission of NJHEPS is to be an agent of transformation so that New Jersey campuses might become models and messengers of sustainability in our society and the world.
- New Jersey Office of Smart Growth Staff of the NJ State Planning Commission and the NJ Brownfields Task Force. Through the State Plan, the Office works to improve the efficiency and reduce the cost of land development and infrastructure.
- New Jersey State Long Range Transportation Plan Offers a current status report on the statewide long-range transportation plan being developed by the New Jersey Department of Transportation and NJ TRANSIT.
- Transit Blog Transit Blogger is the new home of “Through The Eyes Of Transit”. The blog was first created on my transit photography site Eye On Transit. Transit Blogger will still feature my personal stories of riding mass transit. However there will also be a focus on news regarding all forms of mass transit in the tri-state area as well as all over the world.
- Bay Head Blog (Not really green) Best of Bay Head NJ and the Jersey Shore, from kid stuff and summer camps to shopping, local bars, art galleries, the best restaurants, and the best beaches. We also cover local events, from the annual art in the park to craft fairs and the dog walk
- Sustain Lawrence ustainable Lawrence is a large group of residents, businesses, congregations, and other organizations dedicated to creating a sustainable community in Lawrence Township, NJ.
- Plant Dirt – Pittsgrove Farm The Gulish family is made of John and Cheryl and their sons Garrett and Jeremy. Last year after spending roughly 30 years owning Daub’s Floral and Garden Center in Lebanon, NJ, John and Cheryl started Pittsgrove Farms. The five-acre Farm is named for its location on Oak Grove Road in Pittstown, NJ. After spending years working at the garden center, they started the Farm to go back to growing the plants they love: irises, peonies, daylilies, water plants and select varieties of perennials.
- New Brunswick Life (Not really green) New Brunswick truly is the heart of New Jersey, and NewBrunswickLife.com is the unofficial magazine for living in and visiting New Brunswick. Here you can find restaurants, bars, performances, events, and articles detailing life in this exciting city.