We have done posts on Recycling Sex Toys, but another green concept is Condoms That Give Back. Sir Richards Condoms, promoting safe sex promises for every condom sold another will be given to a country in need.
I Just Gotta Eco Ya
- Globally 2.5 million new HIV infections are estimated, an average of > 6,800 new infections each day
- 2.1 million people died of AIDS globally
- An estimated 1.7 million new HIV infections in sub- Sahara Africa
- According to ‘L” if women from Sub-Sahara Africa are provided with the contraceptives they need, the resulting decline in unintended pregnancies would bring down costs related to maternal and newborn care by $5.1 million.
- Focusing on the over 14 million AIDS orphans living in Sub-Saharan Africa, L. has partnered with organizations that focus on education, distribution and de-stigmatization of safe sex.
- According to L, if contraception were broadly available in poor countries, more than 50 million unwanted pregnancies could be averted annually, which would translate to 25 million fewer abortions per year
- • An estimated 1,600 women die every day from complications caused by pregnancy and child birth, 99% in developing countries.
- Each year, approximately 2 million girls are at risk of female genital mutilation.
- About 70,000 women die every year from unsafe abortions, and many more suffer infections and other consequences.
- Women are more likely than men to contract HIV through sexual encounters and about 42 per cent of all persons infected with HIV are women.
- Fifty-one percent of all pregnant women suffer from iron-deficiency anemia.
- In many countries of South Asia, Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East, one-third to one-half of women are mothers before the age of 20.
- Cancer of the cervix, the most common form of cancer in developing countries, is often linked to the sexually transmitted human papilloma virus.
- Domestic violence, rape and sexual abuse are a significant cause of disability among women..
- Latex Condoms are biodegradable but take a long time to break down
- Lambskin condoms are biodegradable but don’t protect against disease.
Other Safe Sex Condoms
L. – another company that for every condom sold, they give one away to developing country
French Letter Condoms, Fair Trade, who also contributes back to Cecily Fund (educating zambian children orphaned by aids, is carbon neutral.
The Original Condom Company offers a line of luxury eco friendly condoms.
Glyde Ultra are vegan condoms