What is so funny about sunscreen- we cover ourselves with chemicals and potential carcinogens to protect our skin against skin cancer and damage. Then it absorbs into our skin for hours before we rinse off all the chemicals that then get flushed back down a drain right into our environment.
I just Gotta Tell Ya:
- Sunscreen lotions used by swimmers around the world are contributing to coral bleaching,
- 4,000-6,000 tons of sunscreen are released annually in waters around coral reefs
- 25% of the ingredients on the skin are released into water over the course of a 20 minute swim
- A study carried out by scientists in Ohio has reported that nanoparticles now being added to cosmetics, sunscreens, and hundreds of other personal care products may be harmful to the environment by negatively affecting beneficial bacteria.
Toxic Ingredients in Sunscreens-
- Benzophenones (dixoybenzone, oxybenzone)
- PABA and PABA esters (ethyl dihydroxy propyl PAB, glyceryl PABA,
- p-aminobenzoic acid padimate O or Octyl dimethyl PABA)-potential carcinogen and is possibly linked to cardiovascular disease. BothAvobenzone and Ecamsule are also possible carcinogens found in many sunscreens.
- Cinnamates (cinoxate, ethylhexyl, p-methoxycinnamate)
- Salicylates (ethylhexyl salicylate, homosalate, octyl salicylate)
- Avobenzone (butyl-methyoxydibenzoylmethane; Parsol 1789)
- Digalloyl trioleate
- Menthyl anthranilate
- Propylene Glycol: Called a humectant in cosmetics, it is industrial antifreeze, and the major ingredient in brake and hydraulic fluid. Material Data Sheets on Propylene Glycol warn to avoid skin contact as it is systemic and can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage. If anti freeze is spilled on your garage floor and a dog or cat drinks one lick, it will kill them.
- Titanium dioxide, or Ti02, has been found to form harmful free radicals that react with skin cells, resulting in intracellular damage, including damage to DNA. On absorption of UV light, photo-generated titanium dioxide particles create singlet oxygen, superoxide anions (O2-) and hydroxyl radicals (OH-) that are potent free radicals. This damage can lead to the development of mutant cells and skin cancers.
- Dr. Gordon Ainsleigh in California believes that the use of sunscreens causes more cancer deaths than it prevents
What Can You Do?
Try Using Natural Sunscreens
- Vitamin E helps to prevent skin damage
- Sesame oil resists 30% of UV Rays
- Coconut, peanut, olive oil and cottonseed oil block about 20% of UV Rays
- Edible Sunscreens Foods-
Try Making Your Own Sunscreen
- 3 tbsp. Grated Beeswax
- 3 Tbsp Shea Butter
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1Tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 3 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 3 tbsp lavender hydrosol
- 1/2 tsp borax powder
- 1 Vitamin E Gel Cpalet
Take beeswax, shea butter, avocado, coconut, sesame, canoloa oil and melt in double boiler. Add Viteamin E to the melted mixture. Warm Aloe Vera Gel, Lavender and borax powder in separate bag until powder is mixeed wll withthe other 2 ingredients. Mix with melted oils and buter. Whick until you get a creamy texture. Store in airtight container and keep refrigeation
Recipe #2 From Natural Beauty Natural-Protection Cream
- 3 tbsp. unrefined sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. unrefined avocado oil
- 1 tbsp. unrefined jojoba oil
- 1 tbsp. walnut or almond oil
- 1 tbsp. shea butter
- 2 tbsp. cocoa butter
- 1 tsp. beeswax
- 1 tsp. soya-lecithin
- 2 tbsp. aloe-vera gel
- 2 tbsp. rose or lavender water
- 1/2 tsp. borax powder
- 20 drops carrot-seed essential oil
- 3-5 drops coconut fragrance oil (optional)
- Melt the first 4 oils, butters and beeswax in a double boiler over medium heat until just melted. Add the soya-lecithin, and stir to blend. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, gently warm the aloe-vera gel and rose or lavender water, and stir in borax powder until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- When the oil and water mixtures are still warm to the touch and about the same temperature, set the small saucepan into a bowl of ice. Drizzle in the oil mixture while mixing rapidly with a small whisk; a cream will quickly form.
- Add carrot-seed essential oil and coconut fragrance oil if desired; blend thoroughly.
- Store in a clean, airtight jar or bottle, and refrigerate.
Recipe #3 Peppermint Suntan Lotion Recipe
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 4 tbsp organic sesame oil
- 1/3 cup lanolin
- 4 drops peppermint essential oil
- Rubber spatula
- Resealable container
- Blend the coconut oil, sesame oil, lanolin, and peppermint essential oil in a blender on a low speed.
- Store in a sealed container no longer than a week.
- You can add whatever essential oil that you would like to give it a scent.