…One example is underway in IOWA where the DNR and the Keep Iowa Beautiful Organization are exploring potential areas in Iowa and selected currently have selected one recurrent illegal dump site to initiate a pilot project. The location selected will not be released until the conclusion of the project sometime in 2010. The reality is that Illegal dumping costs Iowans more than $3 million each year, according to the Keep Iowa Beautiful executive director. Costs to counties, cities and the Iowa Department of Transportation is in the millions annually. One glaring example illustrates that the $126,000 it cost to clean up an illegal roadside dump site would have cost only $ 1250.00 if all the materials dumped illegally had been taken to the landfill and properly disposed of or recycled.
In Dubuque County
- Goddard says just in 2010 more than $115,000 has been spent picking up illegal dumping, and illegal littering in Dubuque County.
Combat Illegal Dumping Resources- Iowa
- DNR partnered with Keep Iowa Beautiful to create a pilot program for ombating illegal dumping in the state.
- Learn how to start a campaign against illegal dumping in your community.
- Resources and Information
- Keep Iowa Beautiful –1.888.NOLITTR Hotline
- Sponsors programs and activities to prevent littering and illegal dumping.
- Keep Iowa Clean and Beautiful Task Force Report – 9/5/06 (*.pdf)
- Jackson County Iowa Illegal Dumping Complaint Form
Illegal Dumping Issues Forums