I have had quite a bit of requests to talk about cell phone recycling in the UK or as they are called in the UK, Mobile phone recycling.
I Just Gotta Eco Ya
- 1.8 phone per person in UK (Source)
- 40 million Britons, including many children have cell phones
- Fully 85% of the adult population of Britain own a mobile
- Over 30 Million Phones are sold in the UK every year (Source)
- 10,000 Mobile Phones Are Stolen every month (Source) These are usually use and dump.
Why Recycle Cell Phones
- Cell Phones contain, Lead, Beryllium, Arsenic, Mercury, Antimony, Cadmium all which are toxic to humans. Recycling cell phones keeps those harmful ingredients out of our waste streams and landfills.
- 1 Million cell phones recycled would reap 75 pounds of gold, 772 pounds of silver and 35,274 pounds of copper. It also would save energy and cut water and air pollution, including greenhouse gases. (Source)
- You can make money! Even if you don’t care about waste streams, I am sure you care about making money!
Where to Recycle
Recycle Mobile Phones in the UK, pays you the cell phone junkie good money for recycling those old and dusty cell phones sitting in your desk (I have 2) They make it so easy as a one stop stopping experience to compare pricing and other recycling mobile phones sites. This is an easy site to use, Search for Mobile, Choose best price, post your phone, get cash. The most popular and best cash, are Apple, Blackberry, Nokie, Samsung and Sony B1csson, but they take others as well.
Here is what I think, call your friends, offer to take their cell phones off their hands, plug into recyclemobilephones.co.uk, see what you can get. Make yourself some green while making green. How cool can that be.