Making New Habits
All of these might seem time consuming and a hassle. Forming a new habit of turning off the lights and shutting down your computer is simply a process of time, repetition and growth. Just make it a point daily to do at least 1 of the below listed tasks and it will happen.
- According to Time Magazine, heating, cooling and powering office space is responsible for 40 % of carbon dioxide emission in the US.
- Artificial lighting accounts for 44% of the electricity use in office.
- Electricity useage by category
Office Equipment 24%
Space Heating 3%
Other 8% (Water heater, refrigeration, cooking)
How you Can Save Money
- You can save about 10% on your electricity bill by adjusting the thermostat by 1 or 2 degrees.
- Program your thermostat and stay with it.
- Buy Green Power from your utility
What You Can Do:
- Turn off all lights when leaving a room for more than 15 minutes
- Utilize Natural Light as much as possible
- Buy Energy Star Rated light bulbs and fixtures. (T-8 lamps are recommended)
- Make sure all office exit signs are illuminated used CFF lights
- Install timers or motion sensors that automatically shut off lights when they’re not needed in rooms.
- Turn off all lights in evenings and weekends
- Keep blinds closed in winter and summer
- Use LED or CF throughout the office.
CF’s use ¼ the energy and last up to 10x as long .
LED’s are even more energy efficient.
- Waste is created in the manufacturing of the product.
- Contaminants that electronic create are toxic metals, lead, PB,s mercury, all going into landfills.
- Most end up in Landfills, where the toxins are leached back into water.
- If every US computer and monitor were tuned off at night the nation could shut down 8 large poser stations and avoid 7 million tones of CO2 every year
What you can do:
- Eliminate any unnecessary equipment such as Fax Machines, Vending Machines
- Recycle machines that are no longer working
- Buy Energy Star certified machines which will be more efficient than a standard one.
- Turn off all equipment at the end of the day.
- Consolidate machines by purchasing machines that perform multiple office functions.
- Visit www.energystar.gov for more information
- Unplug any equipment you don’t use on a regular basis.
- Laptops use 50% less energy than desktops.
- Take screen savers off computers, wastes energy.
- Put computer in sleep mode when not using.
How much can you save?
- If 10 employees put their computer in sleep mode you would save $500 per year
Replace Petroleum based inks with soy based Ink
- Ink made from soybeans in not only better for the environment but better for your company bottom line. Soy ink has lower levels of VOC, so it emits less harmful toxins in the air.
It make financial cents to Green Your Office. Who wouldn’t want to save over $2,000 per year in energy and help the environment at the same time?