It is always hard to pick the top 10 or 100 of anything one subject. – but this gives a start on where to go if you are buying, remodeling or building anything. Some sites are informational while others, you will salivate and want desperately! Lots of great ideas, designs, resources and insights into building green.
Top 6 NATIONAL GREEN BUILDING PRODUCT DIRECTORIES
- Building Green – An independent company committed to providing accurate, unbiased, and timely information designed to help building-industry professionals and policy makers improve the environmental performance and reduce the adverse impacts of buildings.
- Greener Builder– Site has green calendars, source for green building professionals
- Greener Building Non-profit website whose sole mission is to encourage the building of better buildings. , you’ll find building products, local dealers, and helpful programs near you. it’s a place for you to share your personal expertise about products with the sustainable building community. We hope you like the site and will contribute information about products and technologies as well as your personal wisdom about building in your area.- Has Directory listing of products
- Green Building Elements Green Building Elements, home owners and LEED accredited professional alike can learn about advances in green and renewable building materials, current projects in sustainable architecture and progressive urban planning, and local guidelines for creating green structures in different regions of the U.S.
- Green Home Building – wealth of information related to sustainable architecture and natural building materials. Great Book Resources, Building codes, finances and more.
- Oikos – A site devoted to serving professionals whose work promotes sustainable design and construction. Oikos is a Greek word meaning house. Oikos serves as the root for two English words: ecology and economy. That may seem contradictory at first, but it makes perfect sense.
- United States Green Building Council– The U.S. Green Building Council is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community of leaders working to make green buildings available to everyone within a generation This is the place to: certify green buildings, LEEDS, newsletters and more
Top 11 RECOMMENDED GREEN BUILDING BLOGS
- Do it Yourself – How to do it yourself and make green changes in your life.
- Ecolect: To provide the tools and resources that make it easier for you to design responsibly.
- Get with Green– GetWithGreen.com provides home-owners, designers and those in the home construction and remodeling industry with the most in-depth news and information surrounding eco-friendly and sustainable products for home remodel projects.
- Green and Save – Gives you information on ROI when greening your home
- Green Home Guide – This blog helps close the gap between green intentions and practical realities. It’s a community-based resource whose combination of tips, case studies, expert Q&A and regional directories of products and services helps homeowners create homes that make them feel, well, good. The blog contains alternatives to conventional building, cleaning, pest control and landscaping.
- Inhabitat Inhabitat.com is a weblog devoted to the future of design, tracking the innovations in technology, practices and materials that are pushing architecture and home design towards a smarter and more sustainable future.
- Jetson Green – Jetson Green focuses on modern “sexy green” buildings and makes the business case for green building while considering the pragmatic concerns. The content is original. It is intended to be a conversation starter and an idea generator. Readers can be awarded for their responses to postings. (
- LEED Pro Blog
- Materialicious– International building blog is a weblog featuring residential architecture and design. You will drool over this great inspirational site.
- Modern Green Living Source to design, build, remodel, furnish or find a green home. Search the most comprehensive database of green residences and communities. Find green architects, builders, remodelers, interior designers, realtors, and green building consultants near you. (Locator on Site)
- Tumbleweed Tiny House Company My name is Jay Shafer and since 1997 I have been living in houses smaller than some people’s closets. I call the first of my little hand built houses Tumbleweed. My decision to inhabit just 89 square feet arose from some concerns I had about the impact a larger house would have on the environment, and because I do not want to maintain a lot of unused or unusable space. My houses have met all of my domestic needs without demanding much in return. The simple, slower lifestyle my homes have afforded is a luxury for which I am continually grateful
GREEN BUILDING TAX INCENTIVES
- The Tax Incentives Assistance Project (TIAP), sponsored by a coalition of public interest nonprofit groups, government agencies, and other organizations in the energy efficiency field, gives public and builders information to make use of the federal income tax incentives for energy efficient products and technologies passed by Congress as part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005.
- EPA Green Building Tools– Has list of state and local green programs