One of my pet peeves is litter- it looks bad, it’s annoying- and the stats say that 3 out of 4 people have seen people litter. You can do something about it. Many states and some cities/counties have Litter Hotline numbers in which you can either call in or email in people who litter.
What happens after you report- A letter, postcard is sent to the litterer. The primary purpose is to send a message that someone is watching as well as to educate people their is a fine involved.
Just plug those litter hotlines into your cell and report anyone who litters. You will have to have some information – see below for general guidelines. (They may vary by state, city, county)
- License plate number, state, and type (Disabled, University, etc.)
- Vehicle description (make, model, type, color)
- Who littered (driver, passenger, unsecured load, etc.)
- Description of what was littered
- Date and time of incident
- Location (Hwy, Road, intersection)
- Direction of travel
- Nearest town
National Litter Resources
- Keep America Beautiful
- Auntie Litter
- Litter Butt – Report online (PA, NC, TX)
- Litter Project ( Free Bumper Sticker)
- Cullman County People Against a Littered State Litter Hotline– (256) 775-4708
- Report littering to Decatur Litter Hotline: 341-4778
- Anchorage Hotline 343-NEAT
- Graffiti Busters Hotline: 343-GONE
- Keep Arkansas Beautiful Litter Hotline1-866-811-1222.
- Don’t Trash Arizona (AzLitter.org)
- Arizona Clean and Beautiful LITTER HOTLINE 1-877-3-LITTERReport on Line
- Don’t Trash California
- Keep California Beautiful
- Emeryville- Litter and Trash HOTLine- 510 596-4330
- Inglewood- Graffiti Hotline 310-412-873 GraffitiHotline@cityofinglewood.org
- Litter Hotline 310-412-5491 LitterHotline@cityofinglewood.org
- San Diego 1-800-NO-SMOKE!
- Toll-Free Hotline : 1-866-511-8372 ( UDSB)
- Keep Florida Beautiful LitterHotline
- Keep Lucie Beautiful Litter Hotline 772-871-7000
- Keep Brevard Beautiful – Litter Hotline 321.537.6802
- Broward County- 954.474.1835
- Keep Hillsborough County Beautiful
- Keep Putnam Beautiful
- Keep Tallahassee Beautiful – Litter Hotline- 850.681.7799
- Trash Trooper Hotline- 1-877-Y-Litter -Seffner, Mango and Thonotosassa
- Swat a Litterbug Hotline- (Tampa) 813-276-3220
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection- callers can also report environmental crimes to the State Warning Point by calling (877) 2-SAVE-FL (1.877.272.8335)
- Bulloch County- 764.6147
- Henry County Hotline- 770.898.7453
- Keep Albany-Dougherty County Beautiful 430-5257.
- Keep Athens Park Beautiful Litter Hotline 706-613-3506
- Union County Litter Hotline 706.439.6000
- Litter Hotline 1-888-592-2522
- Keep Iowa Beautiful 1-888-No Littr (665.4887)
Kansas ( none)
- Louieville- Citizens can Report-A-Litterer by contacting MetroCall at 311 (or 574-5000) e.
- Litter Hotline (800) LITRBUG (La. Only)
- Montgomery County Illegal Dumping Hotline at 240-777-DUMP (3867).
- Prince George’s County- Illegal Dumping call 301-883-6100.
- Alewife Reservation and Cambridge- Stormwater hotline: Report illegal dumping into catch basins or dirty looking discharges from outfalls to the DPW (Department of Public Works) by calling (617) 349-4800 or 4846, or by e-mail to: TheWorks@cambridgema.gov
- Hingham- To report an incident of illicit discharge of liquids/materials into our stormwater system, please notify us by calling our hotline at 781-804-2437.
- Monroe County- Pollution Hotline 734-240-3115.
- Woodbury- Storm Water Hotline
- Pollution Toll-Free Hotline (1-800-433-8773)
- Douglas and Lancaster Counties Online Phone 877-No-Littr
- Call:1-800-Toss-No-Mas (1-800-867-7666), or email us at joe.Lobato@state.nm.us firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rome Clean and Green (online Form) 315-336-3950
- Keep Rockland Beautiful Litter Hotline (845) 708-9164
Keep NC Clean and Green
- North Carolina Big Sweep
- 2007- 730,000 pounds of Trash picked up
- Swat A Litterbug Program Let us know when a person is littering by contacting our Office of Beautification Programs through the Swat-A-Litterbug process:
- E-mail us: On-line Swat-A-Litterbug form to report a litterbug (click here)
- Mail in the Swat-A-Litterbug card*
- Call our Customer Service Office at 1-877-DOT-4YOU (1-877-368-4968)
- Litter Sweep Hotline (800-331-5864)
- Delaware County 1-866-383-1024.
- Nail a Dumper (Central Ohio) 614-871-5322) provides the residents of Franklin County
- Perrysburg 0nline Report
- Litter Hotline/Montgomery County (937) 225-4999
- Don’t lay that trash on Oklahoma” 1-888-5-LITTER
Rhode Island (none
- Palmetto Pride
- National Hotline 877-8-LITTER (877-854-8837)
- Keep Coffee County Beautiful
- 52 Clean (Memphis) Dial 52-CLEAN (522-5326) to Report Litter, and help keep Memphis beautiful!
- Litter Picks
- Newport News 757-269-2870.
- Litter Hotline 866-LITTER-1 (866-548-8371) or 711 (TTY Relay)
- Online Report